October 25, 2011

Packing List


Little and large... but mine has wheels

If I heard one more time "You'll pick up anything you need on the way" when I was getting ready to leave I probably would have vomited.  As someone who thinks your clothes communicate as much about you as a person as any other way you communicate with people, I wasn't ready to pack 4 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts and a pair of flip flops.  I understand the whole joy of just being able to throw on the aforementioned outfit however that doesn't fill me with joy so why pretend.  One thing that that's really become apparent to me since I've left is that just because you're going 'traveling' doesn't mean to instantly have to change into a different person, the typical backpacker traveller.  You don't have to change the way you dress, you don't have to stop doing the things you like doing - you just have to take those things and make them work for you and have an open mind to what else you might discover.

So back to the packing.  I don't have a backpack but my bag is approx the same size as (a big) one.  The baggage allowance mostly on international flights is 23kg and domestic is 20kg so I aimed for 20kg.  At check in I ended up with 28kg, Oops.  So it's obvious I'm not the lightest traveller but we haven't paid for excess baggage once (on international or domestic flights) and at the time of writing the bag currently weighs 21kg.  AND we've gotten trains and buses with no problems, we're as agile as you like, and without back pain from a back pack.

What did I pack?

Beach/Day dresses x 12
Night dresses x 7
Day skirts x 5
Night skirts x 3
White vests x 8
T-shirts/tops x 7
Cardis/cover ups x 5
Cotton trousers x 3
PJ bottoms x 2
Shoes x 8  (Gladiators, gold evening flats, 3 x flat sandals, converse, chinese slippers for beach, espadrilles - this reads very excessive but they take up no room)
Belts x 5
Bras x 6
Pants x 12
Socks x 15
Towel x 1
Scarves x 4
Bags x 4 (beach, evening clutch, bumbag, day bag)
Hoodie x 1
Bikinis x 6
Jewelry x loads

If I posted that on the Lonely Planet forum I can imagine the gasps of horror but a month in and I can honestly say the only thing I overdid it on is the socks.  I've used or worn everything.  Sure I could have survived with less, but where's the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment