September 17, 2011

We heart Dublin - John Mahon

Even though both of us at Dublin Streets are leaving the joyous city, we'll always have a continuous, pasionate love affair with Baile Átha Cliath.  Whilst we're on our way out, there are loads of peeps on their way in.  We're always being asked by visitors to Dublin what are the best things to do.  We're pretty lazy so we put it up to the people we'd ask ourselves to tell us their favourite bits of Dublin. We then photographed them in their favourite Dublin hangout. Enjoy.

JOHN MAHON
John is the big boss man at the Bernard Shaw, part of the mothership Bodytonic.  He's also the man behind sporadic clubnight HSSH.

John Mahon in the Bernard Shaw


Best place to eat dins?
The Winding Stair for the view and all round ambience; Juniors for top nosh, buzz and an excuse to have a pint during the usual wait for a table; Coppinger Row for the grub and banter with the guys who work there and Mulligans in Stoneybatter for the attention to detail with food & drink.

Best place for cheap eats?
Apriles across the road from The Bernard Shaw; Odessa for their fiver meals; Captain Americas for delicious nostalgia.

Best place to booze?
I do most of my boozing (and living) in The Bernard Shaw so there I suppose but when I break out I like Grogans for Sundays; The Old Stand for killing time and late afternoon pints and maybe Slattery's after stretching the legs.

The Bernard Shaw

Best place to rave?
Total bias once again but I clock in for raving at The Twisted Pepper.  There's not a lot of great club spaces in this town unfortunately.  Music venues, yes, but not the small dark rooms with good soundsystems I like.  There are plenty of spots with unrealised potential though.

Best place to shop?
The internet.  I hate real world shopping.  I get palpitations.

Best place in Dublin? 
I couldn't possibly name one, Dublin is a city of a thousand reasons to love and hate it at the same time.

Best thing to do in Dublin?
Walk from the Martello Tower in Sutton to Howth village on a sunny day.
Take the DART to Bray, look out the window between Dalkey & Killiney.
Check out all the food and farmers markets.
Go to IMMA.
Phoenix Park & all the other things under my nose I don't fully appreciate.

Best place for Sunday brunch?

Best place to sleep for people visiting Dublin?
The Grafton Guesthouse and Kelly's Hotel  are bang central; nice and simply designed and relatively cheap.

Best night out?
I'm usually working weekends but when I do bust out I tend to look for promoters rather than regular nights.  NightflightLunar DiskoDiskotekken & Downtownsounds all put on regular shows I like.  For a guaranteed laugh regardless of what's on I'd probably go to Ukiyo or The South William.

The South William

Best kept Dublin secret?
Do the aforementioned Sutton to Howth walk- pack some ham sandwiches & ales, look for the old telegraph poles half way around, sit down - eat; drink and breathe in the view.

What to read for what's going on in Dublin?

If you had one day left in Dublin what would you do?
Have a pint and pretend its not going to happen.

Where's your favourite place to travel to outside of Dublin?
New York, hands down.  For all the obvious reasons and for the thousands of little reasons you find every time.



No comments:

Post a Comment